First Year; Expectations VS Reality

With my 19th birthday last week, it strikes me how much has changed in this past year. This time last year I was absolutely bricking it, getting ready to go on holiday to Rome, and then moving into my house at uni almost immediately after. I had literally spent countless hours crying to my mum on the sofa about how scared I was to start uni, yet when I look back to this, all my fears seem stupid. Yet, despite this, uni is not what I expected, but is everything I expected at the same time. I'm going into this year with a very different attitude, hoping I know what to expect. For those of you who are just starting, however, here are some things you should know.

EXPECTATION: You will make friends easily, and stay friends with them.
REALITY: While for me the making friends part was true, mostly due to a group chat I'd managed to join earlier in the year, these aren't the friends I hang out with now. For a lot of these people, that is the case, and I know a lot of them are moving in with each other this September. However, by making friends straight away, it meant that I went out a lot during the first couple of month of uni, which I wouldn't change for anything. The friends I have now are mostly from my course, and while we don't go out as much, that doesn't matter, we still have an amazing time together.
Your usual freshers week antics
(spoiler alert, I don't hang out with
any of them anymore)

EXPECTATION: You will suddenly become this expert at healthy eating and exercise.
REALITY: Well, that was my aim for first year. I recently stumbled across my plans for uni. And while I did achieve some of them (getting a 2:1 in my first year, and making amazing friends) that was not one I managed to do. This was entirely my own fault, as I found that the chips at my local chippy were just too good to surpass after a long day at uni. My advice is, be strict with yourself. Don't get takeaway, despite it being easier. And if you pay for gym membership, like I did, use it!

EXPECTATION: Your student loan will allow you to splurge on so much.
REALITY: Utter lies! While for some people, this might be true. For me, it's the opposite. I live on minimum loan, in an expensive city. My loan doesn't even cover my rent for my house! While this is fine, as I have a part time job and my parents give me money each week to help me with food and stuff, it hasn't been easy. You will learn to budget your money, either by being strict with yourself, or just ending up in debt and learning this the hard way, but don't fall into that trap of spending money you don't have.

EXPECTATIONS: The nights out will be your fondest memories. 
REALITY: That may be the case for some people, but the nights in with your friends are honestly just as special. One of my funniest memories is me running to my friends halls in my pyjamas, a ten minute walk I might add, just to hang out with them all. Don't reject nights in, as fun as going out is, staying in is a)cheaper and b)sometimes more fun.
Proof that nights in are just as special

EXPECTATIONS: Your uni days are the best days of your life.
REALITY: In some ways yes. One year in and I am loving it. Yes, it can be stressful and tense, especially when you have assignments due in. And there are moments you absolutely hate. And the work load can sometimes be ridiculous. But you're doing this with your friends, who are feeling the exact same as you. And maybe, because I haven't really seen them much since May, it's making me all soppy. But maybe, it's because its friendships that make uni.

My advice would be to go in with an open mind, ready to work, but ready to have a good time. Uni is too expensive to not be enjoying it.

Hannah x

Comments